Monte di Procida is an Italian municipality included in the metropolitancity of Naples, in Campania.
Its territory represents the furthest end of the Phlegraean Peninsula, apromontory of the Phlegraean Fields overlooking Procida Island, fromwhich it is separated by a narrow stretch of sea (Procida Canal). Off shore,westward, there is the Islet of St. Martin: a little islet joint to the promontory bya bridge and by a tunnel.
The area, so-called up until the Early Middle Ages as "Monte di Miseno"(Miseno Mountain), slowly changed its name in the everyday usage tillthe current one, once, with the destruction of the Miseno Port, the areamoved under the jurisdiction of Procida (thus: "mountain belonging toProcida"). The current residential area was born and grew thanks to theflow of the settlers from the near island starting from the 16th-17thcentury.
The administration of the municipality started on January 27 1907,when the referendum ratified the separation of the mainland and the nearIslet of St. Martin from the rest of the municipality, this way forming thecurrent municipality of Monte di Procida. The territory of the municipality of Procida entirely includes the islandsof Procida and Vivara.
The island is completely volcanic, and it was formed by the eruptions ofat least four different volcanos, nowadays completely extinguished andfor the most part submerged.
For the modality of its formation and its morphology, the Island ofProcida is very similar to the area of the Phleagraen Fields, of which it isgeologically part.
The island is in fact largely formed by yellow tuff and for the rest by graytuff, with traces of other volcanic materials, such as basalt.The island was once (certainly up until the Roman Time) connected by anarrow cliff with the near Island of Vivara. More controversial theoriesimagine a connection in prehistoric time with the Monte di Procida, onthe mainland or, less likely, another connection, even earlier, with theIsland of Ischia.